zondag 24 maart 2013

Hinepukohurangi and the Heron

The Maori symbolism research really was very useful.  I discovered that they saw the White Heron as a symbol for darling or treasure, perfect for Hinepukohurangi.  The Koru was also relevant as a pendant worn often by women depicting the affection in a relationship.  Also there is the Ngutu Kaka which is a representation of the female element and symbolic of the child within. 

I started by very quickly and roughly sketching some white herons.  Kirsten my mother happened to tell me the differnece between a mace and morning star during doing so, hence the addition :D


 A rough sketch of skeleton to get the proportions right, I have a terrible habit of making heads too big and legs too short.  I started with the wings but didn't really feel that was a good focus point.  I then tried the elegant long twisting neck and head as the top and this I thought was quite pretty.  The shape also allowed me to add a Koru.  I tried adding the Ngutu Kaka as well together with the wings as the skirt but I wasn't so keen on this, a bit too busy and distracting from the top of the dress.

I decided to focus on the very wispy feather of the wings instead and this also gave the bottom more of a misty feeling.  Potentially, small glass beads could be included to add in the dew drop effect.

 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten