dinsdag 12 februari 2013

Where to start...?

I've was originally a bit stuck on where to start on my costume design project and not feeling particularly motivated.  But now I've got into the swing of things again and I'm really enjoying my projects.  I've started (skim) reading Costumes 101 and as mentioned before it's very useful.  I've decided to basically run through the proces a costume designer working the field goes through.

First of all I mapped out the scenes that are in the film.


Since I took this photo, I have added a scene in between 12 and 13: Hinepukohurangi arrives.

I decided to skip the chronological script breakdown as there is no real script for my project and I felt I didn't need to do this as it seemed very similar to the Costume Crossplot.

I then made a Costume Crossplot to make out which characters are in what scene, when the sets are used, Interior/Exterior, Day/Night and what happens in each each scene.


I then started what the is called the First Concept Presentation to show my general ideas for each character with examples of clothing, colours, concept references and swatches (material samples) for some.

You can click on the images to read my notes and thoughts on different character approaches.

 leather, wool and hessian swatched for Uenuku costume

I plan on making one real costume and I've decided on doing Uenuku.  He is the main character and I am very excited about my discovery of embossing into leather with lino cuts so I really want to tackle this one for real.

I haven't made one for the Gods as I think those characters would sooner be CGI characters which makes them more for the concept Design Department than the Costume Design department, but that still remains to be seen.  I want to get these characters done first and then based on time left and estimated time I'll need to make Uenuku's costume see whether I design the Gods as well.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten